Bob Dylan voiced his support for Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner at a show in New York, amid a series of controversies surrounding the writer.
Wenner was in attendance at the gig on Thursday (November 16) and Dylan, who doesn’t frequently speak between songs at his shows, took a moment to shout him out towards the end of the performance.
“All right, lâd like to say hello to Jann Wenner, whoâs in the house. Jann Wenner, surely everybodyâs heard of him,â Dylan said.
âAnyway, he just got booted out of the Rock ânâ Roll Hall of Fame â and we donât think thatâs right. Weâre trying to get him back in.â
The pair’s longstanding relationship dates back to 1969, when Wenner first interviewed the songwriter for Rolling Stone.
âAll right, like to say hello to Jann Wenner whoâs in the house. Jann Wenner, surely everybodyâs heard of him.
Anyway, he just got booted out of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame – and we donât think thatâs right, weâre trying to get him back in.â
â Bob Dylan 11/16/23 pic.twitter.com/Vkgt8klzYS
— Dylan.FM Podcast (@TheFM_Dylan) November 17, 2023
Dylan was referencing Wenner’s recent removal from the board of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, which he co-founded, following controversial remarks he made in an interview concerning his recent book The Masters.
In the book, Wenner asks questions of seven “philosophers of rock”, one of which is Dylan. The others are Bono, the late Jerry Garcia, Mick Jagger, the late John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, and Pete Townshend.
When asked in the interview why they were no women or people of colour interviewed for the book, Wenner said they are apparently not âintellectual enoughâ, for which he was widely criticised.
He later issued an apology, saying: âThe Masters is a collection of interviews Iâve done over the years that seemed to me to best represent an idea of rock ânâ rollâs impact on my world; they were not meant to represent the whole of music and its diverse and important originators but to reflect the high points of my career and interviews I felt illustrated the breadth and experience in that career.â
He added: âThey donât reflect my appreciation and admiration for myriad totemic, world-changing artists whose music and ideas I revere and will celebrate and promote as long as I live. I totally understand the inflammatory nature of badly chosen words and deeply apologise and accept the consequences.â
Rolling Stone, which Wenner stopped working for in 2019, also issued a public statement insisting that his personal views do not reflect those of the company.
âJann Wennerâs recent statements to the New York Times do not represent the values and practices of todayâs Rolling Stone,â the statement on X read.
âJann Wenner has not been directly involved in our operations since 2019. Our purpose, especially since his departure, has been to tell stories that reflect the diversity of voices and experiences that shape our world,â it added. âAt Rolling Stoneâs core is the understanding that music above all can bring us together, not divide us.â
Bernie Taupin then called out Wenner during his acceptance speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2023.
âI guess you could say my being inducted is a paradox, perhaps, but either way, Iâm honored to be in the class of 2023 alongside a group of such profoundly âarticulateâ women and outstanding âarticulateâ Black artists along with all of the other music masters here tonight,â he said.
In other Bob Dylan news, the artist delighted his fans with a surprise cover of Leonard Cohenâs classic song âDance Me to the End of Loveâ at his Montreal concert last month.
The post Bob Dylan shares support for controversial Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner appeared first on NME.