Festival Republic boss Melvin Benn has revealed that plans are in place to host a 10,000-capacity festival-style event next month to further test the safe return of live events in the UK this summer.
Such an event would follow on from the two club shows and the Blossoms gig that took place in Liverpool earlier this month that were both part of the UK Government’s ongoing Events Research Programme.
- READ MORE: On the scene at the first big gig in the new world: Blossoms at Liverpoolâs Sefton Park
Speaking yesterday (May 13) during IQâs first ‘Recovery Sessions’ event, Benn said that he and Festival Republic – who organise such festivals as Reading & Leeds, Latitude and Wireless Festival – hoped that the proposed camping event would focus on how to deal with a possible coronavirus outbreak at a festival.
âWhile the club shows and the Sefton Park pilot [in Liverpool] were effectively events that were designed to ensure the enablement of reopening on June 21, the camping event, because it’s three or four days, will actually be about testing the protocol of how to deal with anyone that might have Covid at the event,â Benn explained.
“Itâs about testing the protocols around using Covid certification on the NHS app, and itâs also around testing the protocols of what the SAGE [Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies] scientists here in the UK want, which is at-home testing for all attendees that donât have the vaccination and that are not immune.â
Benn is hoping that the camping test event, which could admit up to 10,000 people, will take place in “the middle of June”.
âItâs not like Reading or Lollapalooza Chicago or anything like that, but itâs a decent number and certainly a number that they can adequately take data from and multiply,â he said.

While acknowledging that âthe politicians are a little more reticentâ about the plans, Benn said that he is confident âthe scientists will persuade them, because [home testing] is the only practical way forwardâ – as long as enough of the UK population are vaccinated.
âSo, in essence, thatâs where we seem to be going,â he said. âRemarkably, the UK Government appears to have a coherent plan, and it seems like weâre going in a good direction.”
Benn added that he believed that “the area that [the government] are significantly most concerned about” in regards to the return of live events “is not so much the venues â they know [the operators] will look after everybody at the venues â itâs public transport”.
“Itâs large amounts of people squashed, with no circulation, on buses coming into Glasgow city centre, or coming on tubes into Wembley Stadium,” he said. “I believe thatâs the area they are more concerned about, compared to the actual venues themselves – particularly outdoor venues.”
Reading & Leeds, Latitude and Wireless are all set to take place this summer, with Latitude the first to kick off from July 22-25.
The post Festival Republic planning to host 10,000-capacity camping pilot event next month appeared first on NME.