The XX perform live during a concert at the Astra Club on January 22, 2010 in Berlin, Germany.(Photo by Jakubaszek/Getty Images)

Government ministers have rejected pleas for them to fight for a visa-free touring plan for musicians and their crew with the EU.

AfterĀ Prime Minister Boris Johnsonā€™s Brexit trade deal failed to secure visa-free travel for artists wishing to tour EuropeĀ (addingĀ huge costs to future live music tours of the continent will be incurredĀ andĀ preventing rising and developing UK artists from being able to afford it), a row erupted over who was responsible.

Last week,Ā Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden put the blame for this at the foot of the EUĀ followingĀ reports that a ā€œstandardā€ proposal that would exempt performers from needing a visa to enter countries in the EU for trips under 90 days was actually turned down by the UK government. Then as, the NME revealed, the EU then hit back ā€“ denying claims that they had rejected the UKā€™s ā€œambitious proposalsā€Ā and that in fact they offered the UK 90 days of visa-free travel but the UK responded with their own proposal of just 30 days. See more info on the different dealsĀ here.

Despite anger from artists and music industry bosses calling on the government to ā€œtake this seriously and fix itā€œ, asĀ fans continue to sign the 250,000-strong petitionĀ andĀ write to their MPs calling for visa-free travel for musicians and crew to be established, ministers have today rejected the idea ā€“ insisting that “taking back control” of borders is their priority and that talks would only resume if Brussels “changes its mind”.

The comments came from MPĀ Caroline Dinenage speaking in the Commons today, as she claimed that the EU’s offer would not have ended free movement for citizens after Brexit (breaking a Tory promise to voters) and that it would have enabled “visa free short-stays for all EU citizens”.

ā€œThat is just simply not compatible with our manifesto commitment to taking back control of our borders,ā€ she said, before revealing that all details of the failed negotiations would be published and repeating that they planned to work with European nations ā€œto find ways to make life easierā€ for musicians.

A number of figures from the world of music have since responded on social media.

“There are 359 mentions of the Ā£1.2billion fishing industry in the 1248 page Brexit Deal, and the outcome is a completely unworkable shambles,” wrote Mark Davyd of the Music Venue Trust. “The Ā£110billion Creative Industries aren’t mentioned once. So let’s see how well that plays out.”

Tim Burgess of The Charlatans added: “Those who knew repeatedly said what Trump would do. Some didnā€™t believe it until The Capitol was stormed. So many tried to warn that Brexit would cause endless issues but so many lies were told. Reality is starting to bite hard…”

The Musicians’ Union voiced their disappointment and argued that a visa-free musicians’ passport is still necessary and that “the Government had failed to understand what musicians need to keep touring in the EU.”

Today saw politicians from Labour and the Liberal Democrats speak out on the issue to NME, claiming that “the government blaming the EU is predictable but it does nothing to help our creative industries” ā€“ and calling for the stalemate to end by negotiations resuming to find a viable solution.

CREDIT: Getty Images

At the height of the row last week,Ā Dowden had said that ā€œit was the EU letting down music on both sides of the Channel ā€“ not usā€, beforeĀ EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier said that he ā€œregretted that the British didnā€™t display any greater ambitionā€.

Last week also saw music industry insiders amplify their fears thatĀ the current Brexit deal could also prevent UK artists from being able to play in the US, claiming that if talent is unable to acquire ā€œinternational recognitionā€ through the usual channel of playing neighbouring European countries with ease, then this could make them ineligible for a visa

The post Ministers reject fighting for visa-free Brexit touring plan for musicians appeared first on NME | Music, Film, TV, Gaming & Pop Culture News.

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Ā Ā© amin abediĀ 

CONTACT US

Sending

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?