Spike Leeâs documentary series on 9/11 has been re-edited to remove footage featuring conspiracy theories, HBO has confirmed.
The four-part documentary, titled NYC Epicenters: 9/11-2012 ½, has had its final chapter reduced by 30 minutes, removing âall the exchange and theories about how the towers collapsedâ, according to an HBO spokesperson (via Variety).
The original cut, which was released to media outlets last week, featured interviews with members of the 9/11 conspiracy group Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth. While episode four has been re-edited, part three, which features a theory that Flight 93 didnât crash but was shot down instead, hasnât been changed.
The documentaryâs initial inclusion of conspiracy theories has faced mounting criticism, with Lee announcing on Wednesday (August 25) he was re-editing the last episode and asking critics to âhold your judgment until you see the final cutâ.
In an interview with The New York Times on August 23, Lee admitted that he still has questions around the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 â which is the reason why he included conspiracy theorists in the documentary.
âI still donât⌠I mean, I got questions,â Lee said. âAnd I hope that maybe the legacy of this documentary is that Congress holds a hearing, a congressional hearing about 9/11.â
Lee explained that he didnât believe official explanations about what happened on the day of the attack, which killed nearly 3,000 people.
âThe amount of heat that it takes to make steel melt, that temperatureâs not reached,â Lee said. âAnd then the juxtaposition of the way Building 7 fell to the ground â when you put it next to other building collapses that were demolitions, itâs like youâre looking at the same thing.â
He added: âBut people going to make up their own mind. My approach is put the information in the movie and let people decide for themselves. I respect the intelligence of the audience.â
The first episode of NYC Epicenters: 9/11-2021 ½ premiered on HBO in the US on Sunday (August 22), with the final episode set to air on Saturday September 11, the 20th anniversary of 9/11. A UK release date has yet to be announced.
The post Spike Lee removes conspiracy theories from HBO 9/11 documentary appeared first on NME.