Sugababes have teased their first new music in eight years in a cryptic social media post.
Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy, the trio who comprised the original line-up of Sugababes, reclaimed the group’s name in 2019, after previously recording as Mutya Keisha Siobhan, often shortened to MKS.
In the same year, the trio, who departed the girl group in 2001, 2005 and 2009 respectively, recorded a version of Sweet Female Attitudeâs 2000 song âFlowersâ with DJ Spoony for his ‘Garage Classical’ album which saw them credited as Sugababes for the first time since 2001.
Today (May 7), the group took to social media to tease their return, sharing a 14-second piano instrumental with three women emojis and a link to their official website.
Once visitors land on the website, they are encouraged to sign up to what appears to be a mailing list. “Keep in touch,” the text box to the side of the sign up reads.
https://t.co/lRfgNXe8Fp pic.twitter.com/PF8ELnCHu5
— Sugababes (@Sugababes) May 7, 2021
The last time Buena, Buchanan and Donaghy released new music together was 2013’s ‘Flatline’, produced by Dev Hynes, aka Blood Orange. The track failed to break the UK Top 40, however, while their planned album â to be released after a reported ÂŁ1 million deal with Polydor â never materialised.
After performing their DJ Spoony collaboration on The Graham Norton Show in November 2019, the trio said they were planning something for the 20th anniversary of their first and only album together, 2000âs âOne Touchâ.
âWeâre actually working on music and we plan to put something special together for our fans,â Buchanan said. Asked what the plans involved, Buena only replied: âWeâre gonna be working on somethingâ.
Speaking on This Morning, Buchanan said that after the relative failure of Sugababesâ sixth album âCatfights And Spotlightsâ in 2008, she spoke to someone in a âsenior positionâ at her label Island Records who told her she was âbeing used as collateralâ.
âIt made sense for the story they wanted to put out because the girlsâ album was getting a lot of backlash and it wasnât doing very well,â she said. âI was like, âSo that means throwing me under the bus?’â
The post Sugababes tease their first new music in eight years appeared first on NME.