Twitter is suing Elon Musk after the billionaire announced last week that he was walking away from his proposed $44bn (ÂŁ37bn) takeover of the social media platform.
Back in April, it was announced that the Tesla founder and entrepreneur had seemingly acquired the social media platform for approximately $44billion (£34.5b), per The Independent.
His offer was initially turned down by Twitter, which put a âpoison pillâ measure in place to stop a takeover attempt by Musk. However, the two parties later entered talks before the deal entered its final stages of negotiations.
In a letter to the US Securities and Exchange Commission, Musk’s representatives wrote: âMr. Musk is terminating the Merger Agreement because Twitter is in material breach of multiple provisions of that Agreement,â and âappears to have made false and misleading representations upon which Mr. Musk relied when entering into the Merger Agreement.â
They added: âSometimes Twitter has ignored Mr Muskâs requests, sometimes it has rejected them for reasons that appear to be unjustified, and sometimes it has claimed to comply while giving Mr Musk incomplete or unusable information.â
As per Sky News, the terms seemingly required Musk to pay a $1bn (ÂŁ830m) break-up fee if the transaction isnât completed.
Now Twitter has asked a Delaware court to order Musk to complete the merger at the agreed $54.20 per Twitter share.
Twitter has filed a lawsuit in the Delaware Court of Chancery to hold Elon Musk accountable to his contractual obligations.
— Bret Taylor (@btaylor) July 12, 2022
âMusk refuses to honor his obligations to Twitter and its stockholders because the deal he signed no longer serves his personal interests,â Twitter said in its suit. âMusk apparently believes that he â unlike every other party subject to Delaware contract law â is free to change his mind, trash the company, disrupt its operations, destroy stockholder value, and walk away.â
Twitter chairman Bret Taylor tweeted on Tuesday (July 12): “Twitter has filed a lawsuit in the Delaware Court of Chancery to hold Elon Musk accountable to his contractual obligations.” Musk tweeted, seemingly in response on the same day, “Oh the irony lol”.
Elsewhere, Donald Trump called out Musk at a recent rally, calling the tech mogul a âbullshit artistâ.
âI tell you what â Elon⊠Elon is not gonna buy Twitter!â Trump told the audience after mistakenly calling the Space X founder and ex-partner of Grimes âLeonâ. âWhere did you hear that before? From me. From me.â
Trump continued: âNah, heâs got himself a mess. You know, he said the other day, âOh, Iâve never voted for a Republican.â I said, âI didnât know that, he told me he voted for me.â So heâs another bullshit artist, but heâs not gonna be buying it. Heâs not gonna be buying it. Although he might later, who the hell knows whatâs gonna happen. Heâs got a pretty rotten contract. I looked at his contract, not a good contract. But heâs notâŠSign up for Truth.â
The post Twitter sues Elon Musk after entrepreneur pulls out of $44 billion takeover bid appeared first on NME.